Probably built in 2nd century AD, the Amphitheatre is part of archeological roman greek site of Catania.
Its architecture suggest it was built in a period between Adriano and Antonio Pio empire. In fifth century the Ostrogoths utilizes it as building material quarry.
After the earthquake of 1693 the Amphitheatre was buried and later was transformed in parade ground.
The Amphitheatre was used as basis for new buildings. The rests are visible from Piazza Stesicoro and they represent only one tenth of the whole amphitheatre.
Is possible to organize guided tours.